Wednesday 26 January 2011

Restoring iPod - "An unknown error has occurred 1436"

After plugging the 3rd generation iPod Nano into my Windows machine and firing up iTunes I got the message that the iPod was formatted by a Macintosh and to use it in Windows i would need to restore it.....fair enough...selected restore, it downloaded the software and started to apply it. A few seconds later and the following error pops up:

"An unknown error has occurred 1436"

Damn!


A quick search about the interweb and there was talk of registering iTunes dlls and the likes but I stumbled across one easier fix that happened to work. Change the drive letter of the iPod.

So I changed the drive letter to Z (in XP: Administrative Tools-->Computer Management-->Disk Management-->right click the iPod-->Change Drive Letter), ran restore again and hey presto it worked :)

Simples!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Copyright © My Eleven Thousand